CONCORD, N.C. (AP) – NASCAR driver Kyle Busch experienced shortness of breath, felt overheated and was vomiting blood the day before he died, according to a 911 call obtained Friday by The Associated Press.
Mr. Bush died on Thursday at the age of 41. The cause of death was not disclosed, but his family previously announced that Busch was hospitalized with a “serious illness” three days before competing in the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
read more: Two-time NASCAR champion Kyle Busch dies at age 41 after being hospitalized for a “serious illness”
People familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that Mr. Busch was testing at a Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was taken to a hospital in Charlotte.
The people spoke on condition of anonymity because Mr. Bush’s team and family have not released details.
In a 911 call from a General Motors training facility late that afternoon, an unidentified caller calmly told the caller, “There’s a guy who’s short of breath and has a really high fever and thinks he’s going to pass out. He’s coughing and bleeding a little.”
According to audio provided by the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office, Busch was lying on the floor of a restroom inside the facility and the caller told the caller that he was “awake.”
The man then directed emergency responders where to go and asked them to turn off their sirens when they arrived.
NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell is scheduled to hold a press conference later Friday at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
News of Busch’s death shocked the motorsports world during one of racing’s biggest weekends, which also includes the Indianapolis 500.
The NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes held a moment of silence for Bush on Thursday night before their final conference game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Vice President J.D. Vance also said on social media, “During the 2024 campaign, I had the opportunity to meet Kyle, one of NASCAR’s greatest racers. Usha and I are praying for him and his family. Lord, grant him eternal rest.”
Richard Childress Racing, where Busch has raced for the past four seasons, announced plans to suspend use of Busch’s No. 8 Cup Series car and instead run the No. 33 car in Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600.
RCR said the No. 8 car will be reserved for use by Mr. Busch’s son, Brexton, when he is ready to begin NASCAR racing.
Brexton Busch is only 11 years old, but he’s already known for his racing accomplishments.
“Kyle Busch contributed to RCR’s stylized No. 8 design, which became synonymous with Kyle and an important symbol to fans and the NASCAR community,” RCR told X. “Nobody can take it to the level that he can.”
Meanwhile, it was an unseasonably cool day in Concord, with a gloomy gray sky hanging over the course, which seemed like the perfect backdrop for Busch’s memorial photo on the videoboard.
Christopher Bell is one of the drivers scheduled to compete in the NASCAR Truck Series race that Busch was scheduled to compete in Friday night.
Busch won last week’s truck race at Dover, the last victory of his career, giving him 234 wins, the most for any driver across NASCAR’s three national series.
He finished 17th in Sunday’s All-Star Race.
“It’s very strange not having Kyle on the field,” Bell said. “It will take a long time for the situation to return to normal.”
Bell said Bush’s death was “heartbreaking.”
He said he spoke with Busch before the last Truck Series race and said he seemed “normal, totally normal.”
Bush posted a happy birthday message to her son Brexton on Instagram on Monday, saying, “Your mom and I are so proud of the person you have become!”
Father and son spent Tuesday night with the Andretti family at the opening of a go-kart facility in Durham, North Carolina.
“I think it’s a stark reminder of how fragile life is,” Bell said.
Freedom of the press is the cornerstone of a healthy democracy.
We support trustworthy journalism and civil dialogue.
#NASCAR #star #Kyle #Busch #short #breath #vomiting #blood #day #death #call #revealed